Looking for a 2W 1 ohm fusible resistor

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Mar 3 10:19:06 CST 2016

On 03/03/2016 07:34 AM, Tapley, Mark wrote:

> Speaking from complete ignorance, could it be a normal resistor and a
> fast-acting fuse in series? Aussuming the correct fusible resistor is
> not easy to locate and that there is room to hang a fuse holder off
> of the circuit board there?

Not a bad question, in my own humble opinion.  No need for a fuse
holder, either.  A Picofuse in series with an appropriate resistor
shouldn't take up much more space than the original.

However, many fusible resistors also feature a strong positive
temperature coefficient which serves to limit current as the load
increases before the device releases its magic smoke.

If you do take the fusible resistor route, be careful to pay attention
to the *type* of fusible resistor.   Some are wirewound; others are
composition--the former may well exhibit a stray inductance that doesn't
sit well in a chopper circuit.

For whatever it's worth,
Chuck