Random VGA question: 160x200 "high color" mode?

Ryan Eisworth ryan at diskfutility.com
Wed Mar 2 02:05:56 CST 2016

Have you tried on a Tseng ET4000, Video 7, or SpeedStar 24X? No idea if those will run it though I have a 24X at my disposal so I can check in a bit. I believe they all have high color or true color RAMDACs though.

On another note… a while back I read an article that said John Carmack (one of the Doom developers) is wrote Quake on a 28-inch 16:9 CRT made by Silicon Graphics/Intergraph that was capable of running at 2042x1152. See: <http://www.geek.com/games/john-carmack-coded-quake-on-a-28-inch-169-1080p-monitor-in-1995-1422971/>

The workstation next to the pictured monitor appears to be also by SGI/Intergraph, and looks similar to the Interserve 80, though the Pentium II was not out yet in 1995 so it is likely an older model: <http://www.ceu-inc.com/intergr_1d.html>

I’ve often wondered about computational power might be in that unit in mid/early 1995. The Pentium Pro had not been released yet, and I know Intergraph shipped multiprocessor Pentium Pro workstations, but prior to that if it is an x86-based machine, I don’t think it could have been faster than the 200 MHz P54CS.

Regards,
Ryan