PDP11GUI under Wine on Linux -- extra backslash?

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Mon Jun 27 15:47:52 CDT 2016

So, I am trying to run PDP11GUI under Wine on Linux, and I am having
problems loading a machine description file.  It seems when PDP11GUI
tries to kick off M4, it is expanding an extra backslash into the
command.  So you get this sort of error message (note extra backslash
before m4.bat):

Can't recognize 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Joerg Hoppe\PDP11GUI\\m4.bat"
"C:\users\Public\Application Data\PDP11GUI\machines\pdp11.ini"
"C:\users\fritzm\Temp\tmp_pdp11gui_m4_out.ini' as an internal or
external command, or batch script.

I've verified that I can run m4.bat sucessfully manually if I set the
appropriate env vars first.  But this doesn't help because it seems like
PDP11GUI deletes the file and then (fails to) regenerate it on each run :-(

Anybody else run in to this or have a suggestion for a workaround?

     thanks much!
       --FritzM.