Quadra 660AV what's with the "PowerPC" label?

Warner Losh wlosh at bsdimp.com
Sat Jun 25 22:06:48 CDT 2016

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 12:39 PM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> and BSD is better on servers.
>> *Ridiculously* contentious. I'm seeing and hearing of little _real_
>> adoption.

Netflix streams 39% of peak US internet traffic[*] from FreeBSD servers.
At the high end, we’re even able to do about 85G of https (encrypted)
traffic on a single socket server off NVMe drives, and would do more
but we’re DRAM memory bandwidth limited.

Netflix OCA network has thousands of machines streaming tens of
terabits per second for hours at a time at peak located in dozens of
countries in hundreds of data centers worldwide. I can’t disclose exact
numbers, but I’d call that real.

Warner

P.S. I am a little biased as a FreeBSD user since the early 90’s and
as one of the guys working at Netflix to make our OpenConnect
Appliances (OCA) rock.

[*] According to published reported by Sandvine and others.