Leaking DEC VR201 monochrome monitor?

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 22 10:10:17 CDT 2016

> I picked up a DEC VR201 display today, it was leaking a highly corrosive
> brown liquid.  So corrosive it burned my skin painfully /  immediately and

Ouch, in more ways than one. If it attacks your skin like that, I wonder what
it has done to the insides of the monitor.

> I had to wash hands thoroughly.  Anyone come across a display that leaked a
> corrosive liquid like that?  The display was stored in its original box, so
> I don't think the brown liquid was from something stored on top of it, but
> I don't know for sure.

If it does come from inside, just about the only thing it can be is electrolyte
from one of the capacitors. I'd remove the case [1] and have a look. Possibly
wearing gloves...

[1] Very easy on the VR201. Extend the 'leg' fully. Put the unit screen-side
down. Prise (pry) off the circular cap on the back, over the screw. Undo that
screw (#2 phillips). Slide off the case.

-tony