How do they make Verilog code for unknown ICs?

Guy Sotomayor Jr ggs at shiresoft.com
Mon Jun 20 15:03:44 CDT 2016

What you can do (and I’ve seen it done) is define verilog modules that
provide the functions of the IC and use that in their designs.  I’ve seen
at least two interesting classic computer recreations using this approach
(re-implemenation of the CADR lisp machine in verilog and an IBM 360/30
in verilog).

ROMs are easy (just instantiate a lookup table).  PLCs are just combinatorial
equations which are relatively easy with the verilog “assign” statement.

TTFN - Guy