Quadra 660AV what's with the "PowerPC" label?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 11:59:33 CDT 2016

On 13 June 2016 at 18:43, Brendan Shanks <brendan at bslabs.net> wrote:

> Where is the PowerPC label? Is it printed on the case underneath the floppy drive (like it is on the 6100), or a sticker put somewhere else? Maybe the machine once had a PPC upgrade installed and the sticker was put on.

That's a good guess.

Looking it up...

http://lowendmac.com/1993/centris-660av-quadra-660av/

... that looks like a 6100 case, so maybe someone re-cycled part of a
case cover or something?

A decade later, I'm still sad and annoyed that I missed a Quadra 840AV
on my local South London Freecycle group. I'd always wanted one.

I did have a Quadra 650, though. Lovely machine. I sold it when I left
the country -- I no longer own a house, so I don't have the space. :-(

I kept a beige G3 or two. I will revive and restore them at some
point, and keep the best and sell the rest. They'll at least use EIDE
drives, cheap plentiful SD-RAM and can run (elderly versions of) OS X,
which makes it dramatically easier to get stuff on and off them,
either by Internet or by disk, especially USB disk.

It feels a tad dishonest, like cheating, but it's far easier to fire
up 10.3, fetch something off the Web or a thumbdrive or something,
unpack it, then reboot into MacOS 9 and actually use it, than it is to
get access to that stuff direct from classic MacOS.