Anyone have MULTOS/8 running on SimH?

Josh Dersch JoshD at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Fri Jun 10 18:24:04 CDT 2016

I'm investigating getting MULTOS/8 running on the 8/e here at the museum and I thought I'd start by getting acquainted with it on SIMH.

I've picked up the disk pack from Dave Gesswein's site here: https://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/os8_html?act=dir;fn=images/os8/multos8.rk05;sort=name and the manual here: http://www.pdp8.net/os/multos8/

MULTOS as currently configured on the RK05 image appears to be set up for two terminals and everything listed in BUILD looks to agree with respect to the SimH hardware configuration.  I set up a password file per the instructions, and after I set the DATE, I do an:

.R MULTOS

And am greeted with:

        HELLO !

THIS IS THE MULTOS/8 MULTI-USER OS/8 TIMESHARING SYSTEM
CREATED BY COMPUTER METHODS
           7822 OAKLEDGE ROAD
           SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84121, USA
           PHONE 801-942-8000

PLEASE INPUT TIME IN 24-HOUR FORMAT
(E.G. 0925 FOR 9:25 AM AND 1935 FOR 7:35 PM):
1601

THANK YOU !

THE SYSTEM IS NOW  TIMESHARING

TYPE CONTROL/H TO LOG ON.

At this point, the system becomes unresponsive; CTRL-H appears to have no effect.   AC and MQ seem to be incrementing over time as the docs describe.

I've poked around and in PARAM.PG, the address of TTY #2 is set to 32 (VT78?), rather than the 40 I'd expect.  I changed this and reassembled the JOBS device handler, and then used BUILD to rebuild the system using it.  I'm still getting the same behavior, however...

I have a bit of experience with OS/8 (but I'm not an expert) and nearly zero experience with MULTOS, so before I start debugging in SimH I thought I'd check to see that I'm not doing anything intensely stupid here...

Thanks!
Josh