IBM 3511

Guy Sotomayor Jr ggs at shiresoft.com
Thu Jun 9 22:35:21 CDT 2016

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 8:21 PM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 9, 2016, at 19:39, William Donzelli <wdonzelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So today I picked up something I had never seen before - an IBM 3511.
>> This is a large tower expansion chassis for the PS/2 line. It looks
>> very straightforward - but can any of you PS/2 fans comment on this?
>> Was it an unsuccessful product? Low demand item?
>>

> I googled up a brochure, and from the front it appears to be based on the same chassis as my PS/2 85. I guess it was meant to be an external SCSI enclosure for machines of that era? I believe that the 85 was intended for server duty, so a matching external drive enclosure makes sense to me.

Yes, it was an external SCSI enclosure.  If I call correctly (my PS/2 memory is a bit foggy at the moment) it was roughly the same form factor has the PS/2 95 (wider than the PS/2 60 & PS/80).  The 95 also had a pluggable processor card (with all of the memory on it) so it would be easier to upgrade CPUs/memory technologies.  The 95 also has a green LED character array (8 characters?) that information could be written to.  Had fun writing code to write stuff to it.  ;-)

TTFN - Guy