memory map for RT-11 v 5

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Sun Jul 24 07:58:16 CDT 2016

 >On Wednesday, July 20th, 2016 at 18:02:44 - 0400, william degnan wrote:

>Is there a minimum memory requirement for RT-11 v5?  I was discussing with
>Ray Fantini about it today, unsure...anyone know if 16K will work (from
>000000).
>
>Bill

You need to be more specific!  Starting with V05.00 of RT-11 in 1983,
there were a total of 17 versions released up to V05.07 in 1998, including
sub-versions V05.01B, V05.01C, and V05.04A to V05.04G of RT-11.

Up until V05.05 of RT-11, RT11SJ.SYS required the least memory which
was replaced with RT11SB.SYS for V05.06 and V05.07 of RT-11.

Attempts to boot from RT11SJ.SYS under V05.00 of RT-11 with 24K
bytes of memory were successful.  Attempts to boot with 16K bytes of
memory were unsuccessful.  An RK05 was used as the disk drive since
it is close to the smallest device driver.  The answer to your question
about
using 16K bytes of memory is NO for all versions of RT-11 starting with
V05.00 or RT-11.

Attempts to boot from RT11SJ.SYS under V04.00 of RT-11 with 24K
bytes of memory were successful.  Attempts to boot with 16K bytes of
memory were also successful.  An RK05 was used as the disk drive.  The
error message "Insufficient memory" is displayed, but some useful work
might be done with just 16K bytes of memory. However, you did not
ask if useful work being done was one of the criteria?

NOTE that I used the Ersatz-11 emulator to check the above details,
so there might be a difference with actual hardware.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Jerome Fine