Cray J932SE (was Re: Straight 8 up on Ebay just now)

Jon Elson jonelson126 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:10:47 CDT 2016

On 07/19/2016 01:41 PM, Fred Cisin wrote:

> 3-phase comes in "delta" or "Wye"("Y")
> some installers don't know the difference!
> I experienced TWO misdone installations.  One was an auto garage, and
> resulted in high voltage to the 110 outlets, damaging a bunch of minor
> stuff, such as grinder, space heater, clock, etc.

Oh, it gets much worse.  In the US, there is also corner-grounded
open-delta, and center-grounded open delta.

These have some advantages in cases with mixed house/office/industrial
use, but you need to mknow what you have. Corner-grounded open delta has
one of the 3-phase wires grounded. This gives you two hot wires.  The
giveaway is that two-pole breakers (or fuses) are used.  You get two 230
V hot wires that can be used for any single-phase appliance.

Center-grounded open-delta uses one standard residential transformer,
and has a grounded center tap on that transformer.  So, the 3-phase hots
all look normal relative to each other, but have strange readings to
ground.  You get two 120 V hot wires, and can run standard home or
office equipment from that, with single or 2-pole breakers.  And, you
can run 3-phase loads from the 3 hots.
In most of these cases, the pole equipment is two separate single-phase
transformers.

These systems are out of favor, but you still run across them in older
mixed-use buildings.

Jon