DOS code in CP/M? Revisited...

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 13:12:52 CDT 2016

On 15 July 2016 at 19:39, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Liam Proven wrote:
>> But in the now-gone PowerPC era, yes, Macs used a derivative of the IBM
>> POWER RISC processor line.
>
> I always thought it was a shame that both IBM and Apple were so tight
> around the pucker strings and never were more comfortable sharing their
> OS's back and forth. I would have welcomed running AIX on more than a a
> mere handful of the PPCs that could do it. I would have also liked to have
> seen MacOS 9.x and 10.0-10.4 (or whatever the PPC span was) available for
> some bits of IBM hardware, and especially the IBM IntelliStation line of
> POWER5 systems such as the Power 285 (but also RS/6000s with
> framebuffers).
>
> @#$@#ing business-weasels got in the way. Maybe if I was older and back in
> the day I could have organized a joint children of IBMers vs children of
> Apple bigwigs polo & tennis tournament at a shared country club, things
> would have been different.
>
> Of course then something like this might have happened:
> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/mar/10/tennis.france

Absolutely. Next did license out NextStep -- Sun licensed it and had
it working on Solaris, but never sold it. I don't recall if IBM did.

At least in that era, Apple and IBM missed a trick -- even if IBM was
the sole licensee, then OS X Server on IBM server kit would have
validated and legitimised OS X Server and might have given it a
chance.

There was also Novell's Portable Netware on POWER -- I even saw a demo
of it running. Never released or sold. :-(