VMS stability back in the day (was Re: NuTek Mac comes)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 15 09:28:16 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016, Richard Loken wrote:
>> And I don't get this notion about lifting the network code out of Tru64
>> since VAX/VMS had UCX (not my favourite network package) before the
>> Alpha and associated OSF/1, Digital Unix, Tru64 Unix.  The candidate for
>> lifting code would be Ultrix which got a lot of its heritage from
>> BSD4.X.
>
> It was second hand and unverified information, as I said. Perhaps I even
> misheard them and they did, in fact, say Ultrix. Let me backpedal and say
> "I heard one or more of the VMS TCP/IP stacks came from a UNIX variant". I
> don't know much about VMS, as I said. I wasn't trying to be an expert or
> ruffle anyone's feathers, that's why I added the qualifiers.

Ah Eunice. There was a project to run Unix binaries on VMS. From that
project at least two TCP/IP stacks were born: Wollongong TCP/IP and
Multinet TCP/IP. Wollongong basically bought the rights to Eunice and
made it into basically a TCP/IP product as well. The guys that did Eunice
originally went back and created Multinet which is a radically cleaned
up version with many thing rewritten for speed. Eunice started out life
from 4.1BSD and was later based on 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD. Ultrix was
also based on 4.2BSD.

UCX was a different beast... As was the package from CMU...

Warner