Wanted: VT5x roll-around stand

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:05:57 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Jul 12, 2016, at 3:08 AM, Fritz Mueller <fritzm at fritzm.org> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the info!  I can check the bottom of a VT52 to see what's
>>> there at those dimensions - feet or any corner/edge features.  Anyone
>>> have a photo handy of the bottom of a VT52?  With a scale ruler?  I
>>> can take one but it'll be a week or two until I'm in the right place.
>>
>> Pic of bottom of VT52 w/ ruler:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/a/fritzm.org/file/d/0Bx_zOIQ4Z79ZbVBHa1dYSTlmQzA/view?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/a/fritzm.org/file/d/0Bx_zOIQ4Z79ZbVBHa1dYSTlmQzA/view?usp=sharing>
>
> As I recall, the VT52 stand is smaller than you'd expect because the pan holds only the main body of the display: the four feet (two at the back and two near the back edge of that mesh panel) drop into the pan at its four corners.  The keyboard section of the VT5x simply extends forward from the stand pan.

That makes sense.  I was looking at the pan size and it was several
inches longer than the footprint of the 4 feet on the bottom of the
terminal (13 3/4" for the VT52 and 22 7/8" for the pan) , and then
there was Paul Birkel's comment that the footprint of his VT52 was
wider than that pan.

Checking the external dimensions of a VT100, the terminal is 18" wide
by ~14" deep, and the keyboard is 18" wide and 8" deep.  Adjusting for
a small setback for the feet, a 17"x22" pan seems like it would have
no problems accepting a VT100 and keyboard with not much margin.

> On the other hand, a VT100 needs a large pan because the keyboard is a separate part, and it too sits on the stand.  So I suspect the stand shown by BM is a VT100 stand, not a VT52 stand.

I have seen neither so I can't provide any historical experience to
tell them apart, but the dimensions seem to bear that out.

A nice stand, and if I found one close, I'd use it, but not
specifically a VT52 stand.

-ethan