Disc Imaging / Kryoflux - Acorn ADFS 800KB

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 21:06:11 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Austin Pass <austinpass at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to preserve my Acorn ADFS 3.5" discs. To this end, I've purchased a KryoFlux "Pro" board and a new-old-stock ALPS floppy drive.
>
> I've hooked it all up to a Windows 8.1 VM and everything *seems* to be working.  However, the .adl images I create are all 0KB in size.

A 0kb file - or one smaller than expected - means that the DTC program
was not able to make sense of some (or in this case, all) of the flux
transitions in terms of the format you selected.  If I don't know what
I'm dealing with, I found it useful to read the disk in "raw" mode
first (where it makes a large file for each track) and then set DTC
against those flux files until I found the right combination of
settings to produce an image.  A lot less wear on the disk and drive
vs. attempting to translate on the fly and failing a lot.  You'll want
to get to know the command line options intimately - the GUI can't do
it all.

Their forums are very useful for sorting out disk format details -
whatever you're reading, there's usually someone who has tried before
and gotten help.  Here's a post on Acorn ADFS:

http://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?t=849

(I know nothing of Acorn, so that may not be what you're trying to do.)

All DTC settings matter.  In many cases, the order of the settings
matter, a lot.  I've spent many hours banging my head against the
desk, only to find I had switched to flags around.