Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA hard drives?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Jan 29 10:12:18 CST 2016

On 1/29/16 8:04 AM, js at cimmeri.com wrote:

> The one thing I'm not seeing mentioned in re VirtualBox is that what if
> you have a legacy Win 98SE system with hardware in it, like a GPIB card
> or sound card?   Or if you have software that talks to hardware via
> serial or parallel ports eg. eprom burners, Zector ZVG vector graphic
> driver for MAME, etc.

A cycle-accurate simulator, like MAME, may be more appropriate in those
cases. Physical device pass through doesn't exist (yet) though. That is
one thing I think a lot of people would be interested in for legacy hw
though then you run into the problem of finding modern hardware with old
slots, since the simulation will give you a 100x hit in performance.