Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA hard drives?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jan 28 19:37:57 CST 2016

On 01/28/2016 05:22 PM, Tothwolf wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2016, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> Windows 98 worked fine with a 1.4GHz Tualatin Pentium III (socket 370)
> and i815e chipset. It also worked just fine on a Pentium 4 and I suspect
> would work with a Pentium D or Core Duo using only one CPU core.

I didn't mention that I've got 98SE running on an 820 chipset
(RIMM/RDRAM is silly cheap now) with a Tuallie 1.4GHz in a Powerleap
slocket.  It doesn't much agree with the Crystal CS4622 audio, but
perhaps that's just a matter of finding the right driver.

> Windows 98 was supposed to support a maximum of 2GB of memory, however
> it has a bug in the Vcache driver which causes problems unless you limit
> the memory it can use to 1 or 1.5GB.

Exactly what I've done with 440GX system.  Using a different XMS driver,
I keep a 1GB RAMdisk there.

On faster, more modern systems, I use VirtualBox.  Just not worth the
extra trouble finding drivers--but I suspect 98SE will run on P4 systems
as well.

--Chuck