HP 9000/382 Questions

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:54:34 CST 2016

On 2016-01-25 2:55 PM, Pete Lancashire wrote:
> So sounds like
>
> 1. get a 9825 (or find someone that has one locally)
>
> Reason for a 9825 is it is the only one with a tape drive that will read
> the tapes
>
> Is this correct ?
>
> 2. prep the tape(s)
> 3. copy the data from the tape to a 9895A -- any ever do a emulator ?
> 4. read the data/run with a 68010 based 200 series .. will the original 300
> work ?
>
> I've not taken a DC-100 apart but have done many DC-300's I've got a box of
> DC-100's that I don't care what is on them, I'll find it and use one of the
> tapes as a test case.
>
> Looks like I've got a long ways to go ....
>
> -pete

These tapes where used in a number of machine such as 9825, 9831, 9835,
9845, 9915, and 85A&B.  There was also at least 1 external tape drive
that used these tapes not to mention DEC made a drive for them as well.
If you hope to recover the data off the tapes you would probably need
access to the system they where written on as the data format is not the
same on all machines.

I can't think of any of the 68K 9000s that used DC100A tapes by then
almost everything was diskettes 8", 5.25, and 3.5 where all supported
however some of the early software for 200s was quite restricted in the
formats supported.

The DC100A has the same arrangement inside as a DC-300 just smaller.  I
have had some success replacing rotted drive belts with PLASTIBANDS.

Paul.