Floppy recovery

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Tue Jan 5 21:57:02 CST 2016

On January 5, 2016 3:30:11 PM CST, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
>>> Can you enlighten us as to what sort of system/disk format it was?
>>
>> IIRC, it was several, mostly Japanese.  I'd have to go back to my
>notes from
>> some time back.
>
>The picture of the one remaining whitebox with the two full-height
>floppy drives did remind me of some of the early-to-mid-1980s Japanese
>CP/M machines that were all but gone by 1985.
>
>-ethan

so, is it believed that that is a picture of an actual machine involved?  because that machine looks EXACTLY like a CP/M machine we built here in MN around 1979 at a company called Multi-Tech Systems (the modem people).  It was a clone of a design done by another company called R2E which I seem to remember being French.  The system initially used Micropolis 77 track, 100 TPI drives and a Micropolis controller design that was also used in Vector Graphic machines.  Toward the end of that product's life at Multi-Tech, it had been upgraded to a GCR controller, with the same drives, and that controller had more horsepower than the host machine it plugged into :-). Machine was called MT-500 and was 64K Z80 at 4 MHz with (4) S-100 slots on the single board.  Video was 8275 CRT controller and the tubes were usually amber.  I still have one of these machines but without the ~40 lb cabinet it was usually built in.

Sure looks similar to me.

--
Chris Elmquist