Xenosoft in New Haven CT?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Feb 25 14:49:28 CST 2016

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016, Ali wrote:
> Is that just to torment people into thinking the products will eventually be
> made available again when they will not be? Just asking...

"they will not be"??!?   Of course I intend to reopen.
Calling it temporary was honest at one time, but then seemed necessary to
discourage "abandonware" vultures.

"projects" was a euphemism for PROBLEMS.
I ran the company at a loss for a long time.  Then, I lost my lease, and
had a crisis of storage space.  Still do.  I wonder how much stuff I can
take to VCFWest, . . .
The college discontinued all advanced programming classes that I taught
(everything that had a pre-requisite).
Then they found out that one of my degrees is an MLIS, and they did an
"involuntary reassignment" making me a librarian.
Then my mother's health collapsed and I took care of her full-time.
My best friend died in 2014
My mother died last year.
I now have two houses, with enough crap to fill three.

I always intended to re-open my programming business (and Lee Felsenstein
says that he still wants to go back and fix problems with the Osborn
design).  Now that I could again, should I?

There are still more disk formats to add.
There are plenty of bugs to fix.
I now know ways to make it faster.
I never mastered "Installable File System" to be able to mount an alien
disk for active use, besides file transfer.
I want to add capability of working with disk images, besides physical
floppies.
I want to add flux transition board support, besides normal FDC.
But, disks needing to be converted are now finally fading away rapidly.

"Free download"/shareware software relies on minimal support requirement,
and a larger volume than is realistic to expect for this kind of software,
unless somebody else is supporting you.  (Realistically, what does it take
to pay the bills?) The most successful model for this kind of software is
to do it as a hobby with an indulgent employer, or charge [PLENTY] to also
do it as a data recovery service operation.  Retail sles of it won't pay
for an office and/or wage for support staff.

This kind of software has an astronomical level of support requirement,
since most new customers need to be educated starting at "what is a disk
format, and why are they not all the same", and/or "Which of the MFM disk
formats on the list do I select to read Apple2 disks?  I KNOW that they
can be done, because both turn at 300RPM."  "What do you mean 'file system
structure'?  This machine just writes straight to the disk, and then you
ask for your document by name", "XenoCopy doesn't work. When I try to
open the Wordstar files that it supposedly transferred from my Kaypro
disk, Word2015 says 'unrecognized document format'"  "Our college (UC
Berkeley) is buying ONE retail copy, which we make available for
all students and staff to copy."
I did not refuse to provide support to those who couldn't/wouldn't tell me
the serial number.
After providing support help to administraors of a midwestern university
who refused to pay their purchase order, "because it never arrived", I
stopped accepting purchase orders.
"But we are government-agency/largest-distributor-in-Europe, etc."-
"Then buy it out of YOUR personal pocket and submit paperwork for petty
cash reimbursement of 'prepaid purchase order'"  "Yes, if you intend to
purchase thousands of copies, you still have to pay for the first one (at
quantity one dealer price), and then we will deduct what you paid from
your later full-size orders."   "Free copies for 'REVIEW' are not yet
available to publications that have not put out their first issue yet."

Plenty of "please add this disk format.  Name of the computer?  On the
front, it says 'ADM3A'" (BTW, "Pentabs" is Vector)  Even, "I will buy ONE
COPY, for half the list price, if you make a special version with this
format, and don't sell any other copies that have it, because I don't want
anybody else to be able to do this one.", "How do I put a 5 inch drive on
my Chromebook?" I used to have capability to input your own parameters.
But, instead of an average of less than an hour to me to add a new format,
it typically called for far more than an hour of telephone hand-holding
support for each one, and IF it was successful, then I would NEVER receive
a sample disk, or even a call back with the parameters that worked, so I
couldn't add that format into the release version of the program!  That
capability stayed in the program, but I stopped documenting the keystrokes
to activate it.

I may be too old, too tired, and too burned out to try.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com