QNX - was Re: Minix 3 vs portability

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 01:39:26 CST 2016

> [snippage for brevity, sorry]
>
> Some readers may remember (but most won't) that in 1999, QNX released a
> freely distributable demo containing their QNX kernel, their Photon
> MicroGui, an IP stack including Internet connectivity capability, and a
> graphical web browser which even does JavaScript. So what. Well the so what
> is that it all fitted on a 1.44MB floppy to run on a PC of that era.
>
> Words and pictures: e.g. http://toastytech.com/guis/qnxdemo.html
> A movie (again from toastytech):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_VlI6IBEJ0

I certainly remember QNX!
I worked on a project back in 1997-1999, the Inform at fone. A public payphone
with internet capabilities. It used QNX and photon. Someone at QNX
apparently wrote an article about it:

http://smallformfactors.mil-embedded.com/pdfs/QNX.Sum99.pdf

It actually worked quite well on a 66 MHz 486 CPU with quite small flash
memory.

/Mattis