OK, one more question about sending email TO an old VAX

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Wed Feb 24 19:11:56 CST 2016

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016, william degnan wrote:

> Assuming I want to send an email message to an older VAX server (Process
> Software MultiNet V4.1 Rev A, MicroVAX 3100, VAX/VMS V5.5-2 ) that requires
> one to format their OUTBOUND emails like this:
>
> To: SMTP%"bill at myemail.net"
>
> How does one send mail INBOUND to this kind of VAX mail from a modern email
> like gmail?  Is it possible to format the header somehow to get the message
> through?  You can't simply send a message to
>
> system at microvax3100.vintagecomputer.net

Why not?

For ten years I managed a VAX cluster running VMS 5.X and Wollongong
tcp/ip with PMDF plus a VAXstation 3100 running VMS 5.5 and UCX with
Hunter Goatley's MX open source freeware MTA.  I sent outbound
mail to

 	in%"foo at baz.com"

That syntax is required to cope with the VMS mail utility, it is not
an SMTP or Multinet problem.

Incoming mail was addressed the same as for any other tcp/ip host:

 	richardlo at admin.athabascau.ca

Later I ran an Apha VMS workstation with Multinet V4 and the syntax was
the same.

Multinet has an SMTP listener and it expects standard SMTP addresses.
If you cannot deliver such an address locally then you must look at how
you have configured the Multinet email server, if you want to forward
to a decnet only machine or to All-in-One (rather than a VAXmail user)
then you will need to create some rewrite rules but Multinet should
deliver to a local VMS mailbox without clever manipulation.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath those
   Athabasca University				   : tuques we wear, our