Looking for a small fast VAX development machine

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 10:23:28 CST 2016

VAXstation 4000's such as the 60 and 90 are nice compact last generation
desktop VAX with modest power requirements, small form factor, good
compatibility and relatively good performance. The 60 runs at around 12
VUPS and the 90 at 40 VUPs IIRC.

However, I would have thought that a modern Core i7 system running SIMH
would be getting close to a VAXstation 4000/60, and there is always VAX
MP if you want to go down the multiprocessor route (you can run a 7 core
VAX system on a Core i7 for example). For compilation it should be
relatively easy to create a build script that makes use of multiple
processors (does the DEC CMS build tool cater for this?)

Kind regards, Mark.