VAXen and minimal memory (was Re: The PDP11/04 has landed..)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Feb 11 10:34:42 CST 2016

On 02/11/2016 08:56 AM, Mark Wickens wrote:
> It's good to hear that the VAX was a cost-effective solution - there are
> too many stories about how expensive DEC gear was, but I imagine they
> primarily came after PCs started dropping in price.

We paid somewhere between 200 and 250K for our first
11/780.  We had an RM05 and a TU77, and 256 KB of memory.
It was a pretty basic system, but ran rings around the
campus 360/65 system.  We also had a pair of 370/145's that
were an expensive joke.  (The 360/65 ran rings around BOTH
of them.  They ran time sharing on them, limited to 4
users/machine.  We often had 8+ users plus batch jobs
running on our 780.)

Jon