Can Windows 98SE run on an Intel I7 with SATA hard drives?

Dale H. Cook radiotest at juno.com
Thu Feb 4 12:51:08 CST 2016

At 11:08 AM 2/4/2016, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

>If you're trying to bitbang the RS232 port to decode POCSAG or something perhaps.

Not quite - this is not an asynchronous protocol, this is single-purpose software written decades ago to communicate with highly specialized hardware that is still in use.

>If you're trying to use old Windows software in more modern versions of Windows ...

Nope, these are MS-DOS apps that require access to the UART registers. Anyone who thinks that MS-DOS is dead and buried doesn't have to work with some of the vintage (but still in use) technology that I sometimes deal with at work. I am certain that there are many on this list whose vocations involve decades-old hardware that is still in use.

Dale H. Cook, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
Osborne 1 / Kaypro 4-84 / Kaypro 1 / Amstrad PPC-640
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/index.html