Banner Panels

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 31 06:10:07 CST 2016

On 30/12/2016 22:31, Robert Adamson wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 14:10:05 +0100
>> From: Pontus Pihlgren <pontus at Update.UU.SE>
>>
>> (re
> http://www.kcg.ac.jp/museum/computer/images/mini_computers/dec/vax11_780.jpg
> )
>> Yes, but it is the taller racks. I had only seen the metal header on
>> the PDP-12 and our 8/I with earlier lower racks.
>>
>> /P
>>
> My 1972 pdp-8/e has a metal header on an H960 tall cabinet. This was
> definitely original (I ordered and commissioned the machine back then).
> (Same one as the 8/I in the photograph - no model designation).

Hi Guys
               I a note of explaination might help.  DEC allthough large
was not one homogenous company.
It was split into product lines.  Nominally they were marketing groups
but what constiuted a market was very flexible.

DEC corporate  acted like a venture capitalist. You put in your business
plan and got funding.
You purchased hardware, software and services internally or
exceptionally externally.

Customising for a market was normal. There was a minimal style guide but
beyond that you could do what you
wanted.

So lots of diffent banner is to be expected.

Rod Smallwood