PDP-8 OS/8 versions

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Fri Dec 9 18:13:41 CST 2016

From: Charles Dickman: Friday, December 09, 2016 3:59 PM
> I have some DECtapes that are V3D and I have found some RX01 images
> from the V3D Combined Kit. The programs that are common to both are
> different versions, so V3D changed over time.

I know that .SV format saves some cruft along with the binary, so .SV
files can compare different even though they are effectively the same.
(I have some Perl code somewhere that will diff them in a way that helps
identify this problem.  What happens is that the differences are all in the
"tails" where .BN format provides granularity not available in .SV format.)

It is also possible to save a program after it's been run a few times, which
saves different values for the return addresses at the top of the subroutines
and such.

    Vince