Thinking about acquiring PDP stuff

Brad H vintagecomputer at bettercomputing.net
Thu Dec 1 10:18:29 CST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of John H. Reinhardt
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 5:18 AM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: Thinking about acquiring PDP stuff

On 12/1/2016 2:22 AM, jim stephens wrote:

> Very true, but didn't honestly think of that in context of the thread,
> nor have I ever had any Digital Group stuff.  And does any Digital
> Group cause any injuries requiring orthopedic medical attention when
> you are lifting it?
>
> thanks jim

Only borderline, I think the total weight of the system box was around 40lbs.  The standard box was a little bigger than the Altair 8800, I think.  Wider by about 10" or so.  I built a bunch of their kits when I was 17/18 before I went to college.  Tried to make my own chassis and P/S but finally had to give in and buy the dg one.  I had a 2.5Mhz Z80a, 26kB ( 3x8k +2k on CPU board) memory, an audio cassette tape storage interface and a Panasonic 12 (13"?) B/W TV cobbled into a surplus DEC VT52 style case that I bought from that famous (in the 70's) surplus place in Massachusetts. Poly Paks*? I can't remember the name.

I kind of wish I still had that system.  But after college, I never was back near home and eventually my parents asked if it was okay to sell it and I gave them permission.  someone packed it up and hauled it off. I hope it's still out there somewhere.

John H. Reinhardt

>*Yes, Poly Paks.  Found a discussion  <http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200282>
>I also bought an old vector display unit from then, there as an article in Byte about turning one into a display and playing Space War on it.  Never got it to >work though. Parents sold it off either when I was away in college or after I graduated and wasn't at home.

I have the Basic Box and it's not very heavy at all relatively speaking.  I imagine the Bytemaster, with the built in monitor probably weighs a fair bit.  My Intellec 230 though might give a PDP a run for its money.