PDP-8 diagnostic tests

Don North north at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 24 14:24:16 CDT 2016

On 8/24/2016 2:21 AM, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 12:31:42PM -0700, Scott Baker wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1) DEC documentation which more fully describes all the instruction set (in
>> more detail  than the PDP-8 handbook)
> Not DEC documentation but a good resource:
> http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/pdp8/man/
>
> I've written an emulator purely from these pages and it passes the
> MAINDEC-8E-D0AB-PB instruction tests.
>
> Here is IAC described:
> http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/pdp8/man/micro.html#iac
>
>> 2) Some more instruction tests in assembler source code format. I have
>> found lots of binary files but I would prefer assembler source code format.
>> I am using a pal compatible cross assembler.
> I don't have any of those. But I've used Krten's d8tape to dissasemble
> BIN files with good result:
>
> http://dustyoldcomputers.com/pdp-common/reference/host/index.html
>
> That and the source code listings on bitsavers.
>
> /P

Also I did not mention earlier my PDP-8 diagnostic page:
http://www.ak6dn.com/PDP-8/MAINDEC/
has more or less what you asked for. It has all the base PDP-8e series CPU core
diagnostics as listings
in PDF, binary tape images in BIN and RIM, and disassembled sources in PAL and
assembled LST.

BTW my PDP-8 implementation in Verilog (not VHDL) passes all these diagnostics,
as well as running
chess, focal, and other such images.

Don