Are old SCSI tape drives not all created equal?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sun Aug 21 19:49:37 CDT 2016

I know it's true for the full height. I've had dozens of dead ones
because of that. I just picked up an 8705 yesterday, will open it up
and also check a 8505

Chuck, I've not had many problems with Exabyte media. DAT on the other hand
has been problematic.

I just got a box of 8mm unix backups that weren't stored well. We'll see how
they do.