X server for original PC (8088/8086)

Jerry Kemp other at oryx.us
Fri Aug 19 20:21:54 CDT 2016

similar story, many lifetimes ago in the mid 1990's (1994-1996).

I was supporting a small ISP in a (US side) border town with T1 Internet
connectivity.  I was dialing in to provide remote support using an HP Vectra
running Solaris 2.5 (not 2.5.1 yet :( ) with a US Robotics 28.8 modem.  No SSH.

I never attempted a full desktop, but several times I recall running X11 based
apps, exporting the Display to my local x86 Solaris PC.

It was always slow, but once loaded and running, it was enough to get the task I
needed complete.

None of that would ever fly today.  or even a decade ago.

Jerry