HP to acquire SGI

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Mon Aug 15 08:16:01 CDT 2016

> I don't know about now, but SGI used to have a lot of Govt contracts
> and a lot of oil companies as customers. HP buying that also means
> they now have the ears of those customers when their solutions are old
> and they need to migrate to new equipment.
>
> I predict a lot of late model Irix equipment coming into the used
> market place.

Maybe, maybe not. For some of those apps I don't see HPE's product offerings
being much, if any, better than what's currently on the market. If these
IRIX-hanger-oners didn't see anything compelling to make them junk their
current hardware investment before, I doubt HPESGIWTFOMGBBQWTF will make them
change their mind.

-- I just love a curious consumer! -- "Ranma 1/2" -----------------------------