VAX file format conversion

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Sun Aug 14 23:41:06 CDT 2016

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016, Peter Coghlan wrote:

>> If you are importing files into VMS, you need to become familiar with the
>> EXCHANGE command.

> I was a bit puzzled by this.  I thought the main use of EXCHANGE was to
> to copy files to or from disk or tape volumes which are not in a native
> VMS format but are in a format native to some other DEC operating system.

On vms say something like this:

 	$ help analyze
 	(pay attention to the parts about /rms and /fdl)

 	$ help convert

build and and edit an fdl file and then say something like:

 	$ convert /fdl=foo.fdl foo.old foo.new

sigh.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath those
   Athabasca University				   : tuques we wear, our