HP 2100A Restoration

COURYHOUSE at aol.com COURYHOUSE at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 11:57:22 CDT 2016

Back in the  day we were running and selling 2000  gear in the  80's never
had  a bad power supply.  one  fan died  in our  2000 F/ access system and
rather than  tear it  down to  replace the  fan.... just bolted a mother of a
fan to the back of the  processor over the space the  dead  fan was.

Like the  story of the shoemakers   kids that never   got  new shoes as the
shoemaker was busy helping everyone else....  this  poor  processor to this
 very day still has that fan on the  back of the processor......

Ed#   _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org)

In a message dated 8/2/2016 9:42:19 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
glen.slick at gmail.com writes:

On Mon,  Aug 1, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Lyle Bickley <lbickley at bickleywest.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 22:11:17 -0700
> Bob Rosenbloom  <bobalan at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>  --snip--
>
>> There's a bunch of small electrolytic capacitors  on the Inhibit
>> Driver Load Card, A106, that needed to be reformed  before my memory
>> would work reliably.
>
>> They  reformed themselves in one of my units. I had memory errors for
>> an  hour or so then they went away. On other units, I reformed the
>>  caps (took the board
>
>> out and slowly brought it up on a  bench supply), and had no memory
>> errors at first power up of the  system.
>>
>> Bob
>
> I had exactly the same  problem with the capacitors on a spare Inhibit
> Driver Load Card. Most  would not reform so I just replaced them with
> modern caps. The board  (and memory) worked perfectly after that.
>
> Lyle

That is  good information to know. I have a 2100A that I haven't
touched in a while.  It had memory issues that I never got around to
trying to debug. Next time  I work on it I'll look at the IDL  card.