"non-polar" capacitor?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 19:48:16 CDT 2016

">Non-polar caps are used in locations where they must pass AC.

Conventional polarized aluminum and tantalum capacitors are also used in
locations where they must pass AC, such as interstage coupling capacitors
and bypass capacitors, not to mention electrolytics as power supply filter
capacitors. Any capacitor that could not pass AC would not be a capacitor."

That's not true AC in either case. It's fluctuating DC, or perhaps AC
riding on a DC bias equal to at least half the peak value of the waveform.

True AC switches polarity every 180' of the cycle. If you try to pass true
AC with an electrolytic, you will encounter the diode-like / rectifier
behavior that was also previously noted, whenever the voltage changes sign
to oppose the marked polarity of the cap.