smalltalk and lisp (was: strangest systems I've sent email from)

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:27:19 CDT 2016

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016, Paul Koning wrote:
> > What have they added?  I recall hearing of someone doing some language
> > that requires a runtime with garbage collection and trying to call it
> > C, which to my mind would be a huge mistake - is that C11?
> That might have been D, which seems potentially interesting.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D_%28programming_language%29

He *might* also be referring to the part of C11 that folks malign
sometimes (Annex K) for bounds checking. Checkout strcpy_s() and
strcat_s(). However, maybe not, since it's definitely not GC, just some
bounds checking to prevent common crashes & security issues.

There is also some rinky-dink GC in C++11 that nobody seems to like or
know what to do with:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2670.htm

Word on the street is that this will get removed. I wouldn't trust it
anyhow because it's weird and I'd just ignore it and use boost:shared_ptr
with glee.

-Swift