smalltalk and lisp (was: strangest systems I've sent email from)

Ben Sinclair ben at bensinclair.com
Thu Apr 28 10:35:17 CDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's had at least a mediocre run. I mean, they used it for NeXTStep apps
> too. It's been around for quite a while with a pretty solid core of
> adherents. A C++ god that I used to work with called it "C++ without the
> suck". I don't particularly think C++ sucks, though (or I guess I got used
> to it). I never could read Obj-C, due to lack of practice in the lang, and
> too much at-colon-dash-at going on. However, again it was probably just
> lack of familiarity, on paper at least, it has some nice features.

I do a lot of iOS development and it took me years to get used to, or at
least feel comfortable with, Objective-C. At first I hated how verbose it
and Apple's SDKs felt, but appreciate a lot of that now. I'm doing some
embedded C++ work right now too, and often wish I could use Objective-C
there. I haven't done any C++ in years though, and have found C++11 added
some nice things.

I'll try whatever is new and fun though, and I've been enjoying Swift (the
language!) quite a bit. Apple is pushing it pretty hard, so I'll probably
use it for my next big iOS project.

--
Ben Sinclair
ben at bensinclair.com