Digital VAX, Alpha (Was RE: Mac "Workgroup Server" ...

Sean Caron scaron at diablonet.net
Wed Apr 27 13:16:47 CDT 2016

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Swift Griggs wrote:

> 3. I know for a fact the US government and a few other folks are pretty
>   well stuck with using Alphas for "certain" things. If the vendor was
>   OK'd by the gubment, there might be some money to be made there, too.

That is interesting. So does Raytheon or someone still make a custom CPU
with the Alpha ISA? Or maybe foundryless, soft core, etc. I wasn't aware
of that.

I was browsing around a few months back and found a catalog from a Russian
electronics company. Current catalog ... and they appear to still be doing
PDP-11 ... I know for sure ... and possibly VAX ... might be confabulating
that ... CPUs. I thought that was neat. Assumedly for some mil-spec use.

Best,

Sean