Mac "Workgroup Server" (or "network server") hardware & AIX

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:05:44 CDT 2016

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> I won't say any more or provide any specifics, as I like being on this
> list and don't want to get booted for sharing locations for unlicensed
> software.

Understood. I like to keep it legal, since I mainly work as a systems
programmer or sysadmin.

> Ultimately, it boils down to what your morals are, when using an
> abandoned product from a couple of decades ago for hobbyist and/or
> learning usage only.

Well, I teach some AIX classes on occasion and I've got to be very
careful. YMMV and TEHO.

When it comes to A/UX, I'm a little more sanguine since it's completely
defunct at this point. I do want to learn about it sometime since it's
supposed to have a MacOS compat layer which sounds interesting.

> > > AIX - disclaimer - nothing modern going on here either.
> > Hehe, careful, you don't want all the AIX fans coming out of the woodwork
> > on the attack. [...]
> Sorry for any misunderstanding here, you are reading something into this here
> that was never intended.

Sorry for misinterpreting what you were saying. I understand what you
meant, now.

> I'm not up to date on the Current version of AIX, but I'm thinking 7.x,
> maybe 8.x????

7.2 TL0 is the latest. There is support for Power8 in 7.x.

> The stuff I am playing with is 1.x, again, from a couple of decades ago,
> on a hardware platform that IBM abandoned.  Nothing more is implied.
> Nothing to read between the lines.

Gotcha, again, sorry for the misread.

> Unix is a very religious subject.  My last intent is to get on someone's
> bad side here.

Tell me about it. I'm just lucky/glad to have avoided the VMS vs Unix wars
in the 90's. Too much drama. :-)

-Swift