Screen sizes. Was Re: Accelerator boards - no future? Bad business?

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:46:33 CDT 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, ben wrote:
> PS: I hate OS's for upgrading the screen resolution to get more crappy
> dancing toasters.  BRING BACK 640x480.  I can READ the SCREEN.

Amen to that.  I have macular degeneration in my retinae.  It's not really
having any effect, yet.  However, I'm starting to note that my fonts sizes
are creeping up.  I *dream* of an LCD that's greater than 21" but uses a
much lower native resolution.  I'd take 640x480, 800x600, 1024x786, or
1280x1024 (at most).

Incidentally, have you seen any new 4k screens?  I got one early on and boy
what a mistake that was.  I didn't even keep it for a week.  You can jack up
your terminal fonts to 14 or 18 and it's still tiny and nearly unreadable.
In applications that you can't adjust easily, it's a nightmare.  You can't
read *anything*.  Playing some games in 4k was cool, it looked marginally
better than 1920x1080, but not much.  The only thing that was better or more
detailed (in my case, folks, in my case) was photo-editing.

-Swift