strangest systems I've sent email from

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:16:04 CDT 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016, Peter Coghlan wrote:
> > There are 210,000 results for "LISP sucks" on Google and I can paste
> > in the first couple of links, too.  What does that prove ?
> I think it demonstrates that quoting the initial number of search
> results that Google returns is pretty unusable for any purpose.

Generally, in my experience, when someone states a fact then says "What does
that prove?" they are dismissing the importance of said fact.

> I only get 209,000 results.  However, if I take Google at their word
> and page through them, when I get to page 29 (and only then), they
> finally admit that the number of results is more like 282.

I think I could reproduce your method with any topic.

1. Do any search. Especially one with lots of results.
2. Scroll to the last page of results
3. Quote some irrelevant results.

The point was that having someone spout a couple of links off the net isn't
proof of squat when it comes to something so subjective.  Ie..  dealing with
words like "rock" or "suck" ?  Are you going to tell me that there is some
scientifically valid way of determining that ??

-Swift