AlphaStation 200 NVRAM Problem

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Sat Apr 23 15:44:18 CDT 2016

>  First of all you might be able to run some SRAM diagnostics yourself,
> either from the console (if it has a tool for this; at worst you could
> poke at it manually with deposit/examine commands, but the complicated
> flashbus access protocol will make it a tedious task unless there is a way
> to script it) or from the OS (can't help how to do this from VMS; under
> Linux you could mmap(2) /dev/mem at the right address and then poke at it
> with a little program doing the right dance to get the flashbus access
> protocol right), to see if it shows any symptoms of misbehaviour.

The equivelant in VMS is sys$crmpsc.  I can supply a sample program
(in macro32) which calls it to read the firmware in a VAXStation 2000.
I don't know the right addresses to use for an Alphastation 200 though.

(Congratulations on the progress made so far.  Maybe there is hope yet
for my two DEC 3000/600 machines which have similar symptoms.)

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.