shell accounts [was RE: strangest systems I've sent email from]

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Fri Apr 22 18:37:54 CDT 2016

On 22/04/2016 18:47, Swift Griggs wrote:
#> I don't run a "full suite of servers".  I run an SGI Challenge S that
runs
> on minimal power (about 14-30W most of the time, thus sayeth my
> Kill-a-watt meter).  It's the only system in my entire constellation of
> systems that stays on all the time.

I have some sympathy with that, as I run an Indy 24/7 and it's almost
the only system here I do run all the time, apart from router and APs.
And it serves at least one useful purpose, because we have a number of
mail accounts from different providers, few of which support IMAP (don't
mention gmail because it isn't).  It's easy to run UW imapd and
convenient to keep everything in one place.  OK a Raspberry Pi would use
less power, but is also less fun.

--
Pete