strangest systems I've sent email from

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Apr 21 10:43:44 CDT 2016

On 04/21/2016 08:01 AM, John Willis wrote:

> That's another thing I remember and miss from those days... your
> average ISP would provide NNTP and UNIX shell accounts, as well as a
> few megs of space to put up a personal web site in ~/public_html.

In fact, that's what the Internet used to mean.  No web browsers--my old
"internet Starter Kit" had an email client and the associated
connectivity software.   I used UUCP for email--and still have some of
the files.

But what are we talking about when we say "email"?

I've been on both ARPANet and USENET using terminals to communicate.
Many institutions and corporate entities, not to mention the military
(cf. AUTODIN as an example) had their own messaging systems long before
the Internet.

--Chuck