strangest systems I've sent email from

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Wed Apr 20 08:13:19 CDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 01:37:55PM -0600, Swift Griggs wrote:

> Here's my top 3 weirdest devices I've ever sent email through, just for fun:

Back in my college days, I witnessed a friend use a TI-92 with a crude
terminal emulator and a TI-Link cable wired to the serial port on the
campus Rolm system phone in his room connect to the campus VAX/VMS
system and send an email. Unfortunately, the terminal emulator didn't have
support for sending the ^Z character the editor required to close the
file, so we had to switch the cable to a conventional editor to send
that, but I feel we gave it the good ole college try.

The same phone system allowed you to dial random phones, so another
bored evening when we probably should have been studying we spent 20
minutes dialing the room phone and hissing into it when we picked up ---
a different friend managed to make the thing spit out CONNECT 1200....

That VAX, by the way, ended up in my garage about three years after I
graduated, and it made it from central Iowa through the years to now
sitting about 25 feet from me at my current job in Manhattan.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/