strangest systems I've sent email from

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 04:02:34 CDT 2016

On 19 April 2016 at 21:37, Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's my top 3 weirdest devices I've ever sent email through, just for fun:
>
> 1. The AlphaSmart "Dana" which was a strange laptop-like device which ran
>    PalmOS.  The email client was Eudora for PalmOS.

I sort of wanted one of them. Interesting device.

> 2. Sony eVilla BeIA appliance using some kind of (crappy) built-in mail
>    application.

Ahh, BeIA -- great idea, but both too late and too early, a neat trick.

> 3. Sharp Wizard handheld organizer over a serial TTY connected to a 386/SX
>    with optional math co-processor installed so it could run ...  Xenix.
>    Logged in via simple built-in vt100 terminal app on the wizard at 2400
>    BPS to the Unix box.  Used 'elm' to send the mail.

I am looking at doing something similar with a Z88 & Raspberry Pi. :-/

> That Sharp Wizard was a helluva organizer for it's time.  The main feature
> was that it takes AAA batteries and thus I was actually able to afford to
> run the thing in college by getting rechargables.  It had a nice keyboard
> and the display was readable in the sunlight, too.  No backlight, though.

Sounds a bit like a Psion Series 3* or 5* -- both ran for a month+ on
a pair of AAs and had unsurpassed functionality. The former for its
time, the latter, in some ways, still today.

Which model of Wizard?