Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:18:38 CDT 2016

Hey, I'm always ready to learn..

One 'trick' I was taught, was to put a quart of ATF into an auto engine
that was down a quart of oil, and ready for a change. Claim was that it had
superior detergent / surfactant qualities, and would clean things up for
the change. You were supposed to run it for 15-20 minutes or whatever, then
drain the pan.

I never tried it. Also had heard similar 'tricks' that involved adding
diesel fuel to the crankcase prior to oil change. Never tried that one,
either.

I suspect a lot of these hacks originated in the days prior to detergent
oils, when it was understood that sludge would build up inside the motor
without intervention. Same thing with old (30s-50s) motor bikes, where one
was warned off of ever using a detergent oil - as opposed to 30W-50W oils -
as it might break loose all the sludge and plug up the oil system, starving
the bearing surfaces.

Heck if I know.