Seeking immediate rescue of full-rack SGI ONYX near Northbrook, IL

Ian Finder ian.finder at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 11:22:40 CDT 2016

I love the Onyx rack.

Ethan wrote:
> I think they're the best of the newer large computers

They're something splendidly entertaining about a big honkin' graphical
workstation that you can roll up to and poke around the GUI on.

I have one of the full rack 3-phase ones in Seattle which, like the one I
gave away, has the Audio option.
J.P. (kiwigeek) helped me re-wire it to split phase, and I love showing
people Quake, Maya and Photoshop on this giant behemoth from 1993.

I hope the Chicago Onyx gets the love in it's new home that it deserves,
and I'm pretty confident that it will.

12 i860s to run the graphics! How absurd!

If we're rambling about SGIs now, my all time fav. is the Indigo 2 R1000
Max Impact. You see one, and it looks normal enough, but when you pop that
cover- there is so much logic packed into that box! It's one of the densest
machines I've ever encountered...

Cheers,

- Ian

--