Fan bearing lubricant was Re: WD-40 (again)

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 17 22:11:09 CDT 2016

On 2016-Apr-17, at 7:28 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> Nope, the cylindrical (outer part of the) bearing is a plain cylinder. But
> looking at it closely, it's probably not copper, so it might be that Oilite
> stuff.

Online images do give a fair idea of the appearance of the surface texture and colour of oilite / porous bronze bearings.
It can generally be readily distinguished from 'pure solid' metal.
e.g.:
	http://www.google.ca/search?q=oilite&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjvbLXkZfMAhULxmMKHUQVDvwQ_AUIBQ

I've removed such bearing fittings often enough from equipment for random stock but don't recall whether or not I've seen them in box/muffin fans.

I'd guess that grease may be a poor idea for oilite at least inasmuch as once there is grease in the pores the material will probably never again function the way it was supposed to with oil.