CYCLOPS: Here it is, but come see it in person at VCF East

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 14 22:19:22 CDT 2016

On 2016-Apr-14, at 7:50 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
> Brent Hilpert
>> Wow, (that was quick), great job to get one of these working.
>
> Thanks.  Quick?  Actually, I've been working on it for several
> years.  The assembly was fairly quick.  If you have all of the
> parts in one place, a competent solderer should be able to build
> it in a few hours.

(Well it was pretty quick from when you mentioned it here.)
I had assumed that you came across a hobbyist unit built in the 70's and was repairing or completing it.
Sounds like that's incorrect - this is a new build from scratch?, including the printed circuit boards?

I had actually wondered from years ago whether the design ever did work reliably, or whether it might be the sort of magazine project where 1 in 100 might function, e.g. say, the memory chips were an iffy proposition as image sensor. Very pleased to see one work.
(The one I assembled I had to return to the owner after assembly, we tried it one afternoon with his IMSAI and/or with the scope interface as I recall, but after that it was out of my purview.)

>> (I finally get to see an image from a Cyclops camera - never
>> did from the one I assembled.)
>
> Looks even better live.  Come see it at VCF East.

(On the north-west coast here - bit of a trip to there).